Tap and Thread
The tap is a tool for creating internal threads in holes. You can tap or thread holes or protrusions in your part. For example, you might tap a hole for a bolt or thread a protrusion to mate with another part.
To tap holes or thread protrusions:
- Select a circle.
- Choose Line | Machine | Thread.
- Thread system – Inch/Metric/Taper – select one or click User defined (see below).
- Thread settings grid – choose the desired thread from the Size column to match the intended screw or nut.
- Threads are right hand by default. Use Comments to Machinist to specify Left Hand.
- Set the thread length in the toolbar Z control. The maximum thread length is slightly less than the drill depth. Enter the length of fully formed threads (measured from the “near” edge) or check Maximum.
- To also thread from the opposite view (e.g. both ends of a rod or hole), select the opposite view and apply the thread feature again.